Thursday, 21 October, 2021

Norway attack: First picture of man suspected of killing 5 people with bow and arrow – World News


Espen Andersen Brathen is charged with the murders and will be assessed by forensic psychiatric experts, according to the PST security service

Espen Andersen Brathen is charged with the murders and will be assessed by forensic psychiatric experts
Espen Andersen Brathen is charged with the murders and will be assessed by forensic psychiatric experts

A man accused of killing five people in a bow and arrow attack in Norway has been pictured for the first time.

Espen Andersen Brathen is charged with the murders and will be assessed by forensic psychiatric experts, according to the PST security service.

The 37-year-old Danish suspect converted to Islam and was of concern to police about signs of radicalisation.

Flags flew at half mast across Kongsberg where the victims, four women and one man aged between 50 and 70, were killed. Two people, including an off-duty police officer, were wounded in the attack.

Kongsberg resident Markus Kultima, 23, who works in a beer shop and lives above the store, witnessed parts of the attack.

“I saw a man come walking with an arrow in his back,” Kultima told Reuters. He said it was the off-duty officer who told him to head home.








Police officers investigate at the scene where an arrow shot into a wall after several people were killed
(

Image:

via REUTERS)



“I had to walk in the direction where that guy came from.

That was very heavy,” Kultima said.

The 37-year-old suspect was in custody and was believed to have acted alone, police said. His lawyer said he was cooperating with police.

“The events at Kongsberg appear at the moment to be an act of terror,” the PST security police said in a statement, adding the investigation will determine the motive.

The suspect, who has not been identified by police, had converted to Islam and police had been worried about signs of his radicalisation, regional police chief Ole Bredrup Saeverud told a news conference.








Police officers cordon off the scene where they are investigating in Kongsberg, Norway
(

Image:

NTB/AFP via Getty Images)










A police forensic enters a local past a Norwegian policeman standing guards outside during investigations
(

Image:

NTB/AFP via Getty Images)



“Police have previously been in contact with the man in relation to trouble connected to radicalisation. We haven’t registered anything in regards to him in 2021, but previously,” Saeverud said.

The man will also have a psychiatric evaluation, police said. A relative of the suspect, speaking on condition of anonymity to Danish newspaper Ekstra Bladet, described the man as mentally ill and said the family had suffered threats for several years.

The death toll was the worst of any attack in Norway since 2011, when far-right extremist Anders Behring Breivik killed 77 people, most of them teenagers at a youth camp.

0 comments on “Norway attack: First picture of man suspected of killing 5 people with bow and arrow – World News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Categories